It Takes Good, Old-Fashioned Client Service

There’s a roaming statistic out there that claims only 25% of employees in client-advisory positions could be called “high caliber” when meeting client expectations and needs. Guess where the remaining 75% of client advisors come in? Average or below.

What happened to good, ole-fashioned client service? Managing a business in a day of digital analytics and bottom-lines, it’s easy to forget the human component. The yardstick of growth or success is then based on dollar signs ONLY. While “keeping the lights on” is important, I would argue a different viewpoint. How about a business model that is 100% truly client-centric, where it’s all about building trust and creating positive relationships? Sound too fluffy for you? I’ll explain.

There are many different types of businesses out there, but all businesses have something in common. They have clients. Time, money, blood, sweat and tears are poured into building a company and establishing its brand. The companies that are highly successful will most likely tell you that their “client base” defines their brand. Less successful companies tend to define themselves on “history and tradition”, a factor the more successful companies give less weight to. Think about yourself as a client, and then think about playing by the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (otherwise known as the Ethic of Reciprocity). Ah, my mother’s favorite! Pretty simple.

There will always be business challenges, even in your best days. For example, it’s normal for a business to lose some of its clients. Maybe they have left your business for a competitor or perhaps you’ve failed to scale your business accordingly and keep up with the volume of products/services. Whatever the case may be, LISTEN to them. Clients are your greatest source of learning, and providing them your product or service is a privilege. Go above and beyond in addressing their expectations and servicing their needs. They could have chosen anyone to work with, but they chose YOU. Pull the yardstick out of the closet and start measuring their satisfaction.

They will thank you.